WHAT IS THE AMC OUTDOORS DIGITAL EDITION?
The AMC Outdoors digital edition is a whole new way to enjoy the magazine of the Appalachian Mountain Club. With it, you can now read entire issues of AMC Outdoors on your iPhone, your iPad, or your desktop or laptop—turning page by page, just as you would in the magazine. You’ll be one quick click from exclusive features, such as slideshows and videos. You can even download current and past issues to read offline—on the train, the trail, wherever!
HOW DOES THE DIGITAL EDITION DIFFER FROM THE WEBSITE?
The digital edition is another way to engage with the content you love. One big benefit is that you can download issues to read later, when you’re not online. (Hello, Lakes of the Clouds bunkhouse!) That means, in addition to perusing the print magazine and reading stories here on AMC’s website, you can flip through the digital edition, page by page, on your desktop or laptop, or you can read the digital edition on the AMC Outdoors iOS app. More on both of those last two below.
READY TO GET STARTED? GREAT!
1. To read the digital edition on your iPhone or iPad:
2. To read the digital edition on your desktop or laptop:
Questions about your AMC membership? Contact email@example.com. Questions about the AMC digital edition? Consult the FAQ below.
MORE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Do I need to be an AMC member to log into the app or browser version?
Yes, an active AMC membership account and an AMC MyOutdoors user name and password are required to log in to the AMC Outdoors digital magazine. (Click here to join AMC. New members should allow 3 to 5 business days for your member center number to activate. If your e-mail address is on record, you will be contacted with your member details via e-mail.)
If you are an AMC member and have an AMC MyOutdoors, online store, activities database, or Kids Outdoors online community account, use that user name and password to log in. If you’ve forgotten your password, you can request it here. If you are an AMC member and do not have a login for any of the sites above, use your AMC member number to confirm your member center information by using the validation page. Follow the steps to identify your account and set up your user name and password.
2. I’m an AMC member, but I forgot my user name and/or password.
You can request your user name and password here.
3. How can I view the current issue or past issues of AMC Outdoors?
Latest issue: If you have downloaded the iOS app, you will receive an e-mail every time a new issue is published. These e-mails are sent to the e-mail address we have on file. If you are not receiving these e-mails, please check your spam/junk folder and make sure you are checking the same e-mail account that you registered with AMC.
4. What are the minimum requirements for viewing the digital edition on a laptop or a desktop computer?
The digital edition will load on any browser (e.g., Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome) as long as Adobe Flash is installed and the browser supports Flash.
5. What are the minimum requirements for loading the app on an iPad or iPhone?
In order to run the AMC Outdoors app on an Apple device, iOS6 or newer must be installed.
6. What are the minimum requirements for viewing the digital edition on a mobile device?
The browser version was created to be accessible on mobile browsers with an Internet connection. Supported mobile devices include:
• iOS devices running iOS6 or newer
• Android devices running Android 2.3 or newer
• Kindle FireNook HD+
• Blackberry devices running Blackberry OS 6 or newer
7. What should I do if the digital edition doesn’t load on my desktop or laptop (i.e., I see an empty browser window)?
Check to see if you have an ad blocker or firewall installed that prevents Flash animations from loading in your browser. If you do, then configure it to allow animations to load from all outdoors.org domains. Flash Player is required on all browsers to run the digital edition.
8. What should I do if the AMC Outdoors browser version loads, but the pages are blank?
You most likely have a firewall installed that’s preventing the pages from being loaded. Make sure your firewall allows you to load content from all outdoors.org domains (e.g., outdoors.org, pages.outdoors.org, stream.outdoors.org, metrics.outdoors.org, etc.).
9. I see an error message when I start up the browser-based digital edition that reads: “Shockwave Flash may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.”
This is a known issue with certain versions of Firefox. Clicking “Continue” or waiting a few seconds will generally resolve the issue.
10. In the browser version, if I go into the archives to view another issue of AMC Outdoors, I am required to log in again. Why does this happen?
This is a known issue, and we are looking for a way to address it. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Don’t see the answer to your question above?
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!