Check In/Meal Times
- Check in: 3:00 p.m.
- Check out: 11:00 a.m.
- Meal Hours During Full-Service Season:
- Dinner: included in your lodge room rate, served family style at 6:00 p.m. sharp, except Friday nights, when a dinner buffet is available 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. to accommodate late arrivals
- Breakfast: included in your lodge room rate, served family style at 7:30 a.m.
Pets are not allowed at Cardigan Lodge, campsites, or High Cabin.
Please contact AMC Reservations, 603-466-2727, Monday-Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m.
Emergency Contact Information
Cardigan Lodge 603-744-8011
Planning Your Visit
Weather: weather conditions can vary widely during any season in the New Hampshire. You can see current backcountry conditions online. Call Cardigan Lodge at 603-744-8011 if you have any questions about trail conditions.
Books and Maps: Plan to carry a current map, guidebook, and compass on your trip. We recommend the AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide, which includes a Cardigan area map and trail descriptions. It is available in the
AMC Online Store or by calling 800-262-4455.
Quiet Hours: please be respectful of other guests and observe quiet hours from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
Alcohol: Beer and wine are available during meal times at the Highland Center. State law requires that any personal alcoholic beverages be consumed only in the guest's private guest room, and be consumed in a responsible manner.
Smoking: smoking or open flame are not allowed in or near any structure.
What to Bring
- For Your Lodge Stay (Full-Service Season in Summer/Fall)
- Linens, towels, soap are provided for guests
- Dinner and breakfast are included in your lodge room rate - you may wish to bring your own snack items
- You may wish to bring a headlamp for reading in bunkrooms at night
- Families may wish to bring books and games - we have some available
- For Your Lodge Stay (Self-Service Season in Winter/Spring)
- Blankets and pillows are provided. Bunkrooms are heated and hot showers are available in winter. Bring your own linens or sleeping bag and towel.
- Bring your own food to prepare in our kitchen. Guests have access to our refrigerator, stove, grille, microwave, dishwasher, pots, pans and serviceware.
- Groups of 15 or more can request meal service with advance notice by contacting our Group Coordinator at 603-466-2721 ext. 8122.
- For your Campground stay
- We provide primitive walk-in campsites for tent camping only. Wheelbarrows are provided for carrying gear to your campsite.
- Each campsite has a fire ring and picnic table - carry in/carry out
- Showers are not available; potable water is available outside the lodge
- Bring a campstove for cooking. Campers can have meals at the lodge for an additional fee with at least a 24-hour advance reservation.
High Cabin - Be prepared to pack in food, water, and firewood in the winter.
Clothing and Gear for Outdoor Activities: having the right equipment during your trip will greatly enhance your outdoor experience in the White Mountains. It is important to wear proper footwear, and carry warm clothing, foul-weather gear, food and water, and other essentials.
Directions to Cardigan Lodge
The AMC's Cardigan Lodge is located at 774 Shem Valley Road in Alexandria, NH Below are the recommended directions followed by approximate driving times. Please note that MapQuest is not recommended in this instance since it may send you to the wrong side of Cardigan Mountain!
For more information, or reservations, please call 603-466-2727, Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For emergency contact at Cardigan Lodge, call 603-744-8011.
From Boston (and Interstate 93 in New Hampshire):
Take Interstate 93 North to Route 104 West (Exit 23, New Hampton, NH).
- Take Route 104 West about six miles to Route 3A North in Bristol, NH
- Follow directions below from Bristol.
From New York City (and Connecticut, western Massachusetts, or Vermont):
- Take Interstate 95 North (Connecticut Turnpike) to Interstate 91 North (by New Haven, CT.).
- Take Interstate 91 North into Vermont to Interstate 89 South (near White River Junction, VT.).
- Take Interstate 89 South to Route 4 East (Exit 17, Enfield, NH).
- Take Route 4 East for 25 miles to Danbury, NH
- In Danbury, take Route 104 East for 5.5 miles.
- Turn left onto Cass Mill Road and go about 3.5 miles.
- Turn right onto Washburn Road.
- Cross a bridge, then take the first left onto Mount Cardigan Road.
- Follow Bristol directions below, starting with number 7.
From Bristol, NH:
Approximate driving times to Cardigan
- Take Route 3A North toward Plymouth for 2.1 miles.
- Turn left onto West Shore Road at the blinking light (Our Lady of Grace stone church is on the far left corner).
- Proceed 1.9 miles and then go straight onto Cardigan Mountain Road where West Shore Road turns right.
- Go 1 mile on Cardigan Mountain Road, then turn left onto North Road.
- Go 1 mile on North Road, then right onto Washburn Road in Alexandria, NH
- Go 200 yards and bear right onto Mount Cardigan Road.
- Follow Mount Cardigan Road for 3.6 miles, and stay left at the intersection with Brook Road.
- Take Shem Valley Road 1.5 miles to Cardigan Lodge (stay right at the fork in the road at 100 yards).
For safety, please observe the posted speed limit of 30 MPH on these rural residential roads with gravel surfaces.
Times may vary greatly depending on driving style, traffic, and road conditions:
- From Bristol, 25 minutes.
- From Boston, two to two and a half hours.
- From New York, five and a half to seven hours.