One of the largest forest areas and the best hiking in eastern Massachusetts are only 13 miles from downtown Boston – the 8,500-acre Blue Hills Reservation. Within that reservation, on the eastern shore of 230-acre Ponkapoag Pond, is AMC’s Ponkapoag Family Camp: 20 rustic cabins and two campsites in a wooded setting, with a waterfront offering swimming, boating, and fishing, and a lodge used as a gathering place during the summer season. Cabins have beds (but not bedding), table and chairs, and a bureau. Those with wood-burning stoves can be rented year-round. There is no electricity or running water; bring your own lanterns, drinking water, and cook stove.!
Get directions to Ponkapoag >>
Open year-round. Summer season runs from 4th week of June to Labor Day.
- 20 cabins (sleep two to seven).
- Bunks with mattresses (bring sleeping bag).
- Wood stove (Firewood may be gathered any time of the year; it can be purchased on site only during the off season. Outside firewood is not permitted inside the reservation in order to hinder the spread of pests).
- No electricity
- No running water
- Two tent sites
- Activities: Hiking, mountain biking, paddling, swimming, skiing, camping
- Dogs allowed with limitations
- During summer season, there is a camp manager on site, lifeguard, pot-luck dinners every Saturday night followed by an activity, and a lodge for general use with a few hours of electricity each evening for reading, play, and charging batteries.
|Cabins - Season
|Cabins - Off-Season
|Weekend (2 nights)
|*Off-Season begins Labor Day and ends 3rd week of June.
||$45 (minimum rental period)
Summer day use: $5 per person. Day users may not bring dogs.
Reservations & Policies
Directions to Ponkapoag Camp
- Registration form (PDF, 344 KB)
- Reservations taken by mail only.
- Call 781-961-7007 for availability or for general inquiries (Note: reservations will not be taken over the phone.)
- Summer reservations (last week of June through Labor Day) get highest priority if postmarked before April 20; mail to "Attn: Summer Reservations."
- Deposit of summer rentals is $50 per week.
- Weekend rentals off-season require payment in full.
- Checks payable to AMC Ponkapoag Camp.
- Call for cancellations.
- A liability waiver form may be required. Check with the registrar for more information.
Note: If you will be driving to Ponkapoag, you must call ahead for the combination to the gate lock, 781-961-7007. Best time to call is from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon
From Interstate 93:
From the Ashmont T station (MBTA Red Line)
- Follow Interstate 93 to the Route 138 cloverleaf exit (Exit 2A).
- From the Route 138 cloverleaf, go south on Route 138 past Ponkapoag Golf Course to the next traffic light.
- At the traffic light, turn left onto Randolph Street and travel for one mile.
- Directly across from the Canton Equestrian Center's mailbox is the locked gate to the camp. You must call ahead of time for the combination to the lock.
- Take the dirt road into the woods, bearing right after the gate.
- Follow the dirt road for one mile into camp and watch for the red reflector.
- Turn left at the reflector and continue a short distance to the winter manager's cabin on the right. In summer, continue past the reflector and go directly to the lodge.
View a map (JPG) illustrating the directions below >>
- Take the MBTA Red Line to the Ashmont Station and board the Randolph or Brockton Bus (estimated time of departure: 20 minutes past the hour).
- Get off at the Holiday Inn at Route 28 and Scanlon Drive in North Randolph.
- Walk west to the end of Scanlon Drive and the High Street intersection. This is the head of the Smith Trail, which is marked with orange disks on the trees.
- The Smith Trail (Middle Street) turns left on the gas line and goes over the horse bridge, traversing Route 24.
- Follow the orange disks all the way the way into camp. The total distance is approximately 7,000 feet. Approximate hiking time is 30 minutes.
For more information, contact Paul and Trisha Minton (caretakers) at 781-961-7007, weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., or write Trisha Minton, AMC Ponkapoag Camp, P.O. Box 582, Randolph, MA 02368.