Cardigan Lodge is located at a quiet, roads-end location with a commanding view of the summit of Mt. Cardigan. With a small pond for splashing, short waterfall hike, nature trails, and proximity to a sandy beach on Newfound Lake, Cardigan is ideal for younger families but enjoyed by young and old alike. More ambitious young explorers can hike to the summit of Mt. Cardigan, searching for blueberries and salamanders along the way.
New for 2013: All summer, Kids Stay, Play, and Eat Free at Cardigan Lodge and Lonesome Lake Hut. Bring the little ones to Cardigan Lodge and explore nature trails, waterfalls, pond critters, and more. Learn more>>
Family-friendly Lodge Amenities
- Traditional private 2-, 4-, and 6-person bunkrooms with shared bath.
- Large outdoor deck for relaxing and star gazing.
- Small pond for swimming and exploring.
- Evening campfire (weather permitting).
- Naturalist Nook featuring puzzles, nature guides, and a microscope.
- Port-a-cribs and high chairs available upon request.
- Hot breakfast, trail lunch, and sit-down dinner are included in your stay.
- Breakfast is served at 8 a.m. with classics like eggs, pancakes, muffins, and bacon, plus lighter choices like fruit, yogurt, and cold cereal.
- Make-your-own trail lunch includes deli meats and cheeses, fruit, cookies, and trail bars.
- Dinner is served family style Saturday-Thursday with soup, salad, home-baked bread, entrée, and dessert. We also offer kid options, such as pasta, quesadillas, and mac and cheese on request.
- Sunday night BBQ dinners July through Labor Day.
- Daily guided activities in summer include: geocaching, mushroom spotting, birding, and geology, plus hikes to beaver ponds, waterfalls, and the summit of Mt. Cardigan.
- Daily evening programs in summer include: Star Watching, “Hoppers and Leapers,” a night walk, and more.
- Wee Wanderers Family Explorations, for kids 2-5, is the perfect 3-day program for you and your little ones to explore the outdoors! Pond discovery, nature trail exploration, and a visit to the nearby Squam Lakes Science Center will help introduce kids to the animals and other inhabitants of the Lakes region.
- Introduction to Family Camping, for kids 6-10, spend the weekend learning camping basics along side a trusted AMC.