AMC Huts are in backcountry locations and are “off the grid” – our ability to operate at remote locations depends on the cooperation of guests:
- Co-ed bunkrooms, within hut or detached, depending on location. Bunkhouses are not heated – plan accordingly.Separate washrooms with toilets and cold running water (except winter)No electrical outlets – energy reserved for emergency communications, kitchen, and lighting of common areas. Bunkrooms have no lighting – bring a headlamp or flashlight.
- Carry In/Carry Out all trash and recyclables.
- Bunk with pillow and three wool blankets provided – bring sheets, sleep sack or lightweight sleeping bag (full-service season). Blankets not provided during self-service season – bring an appropriately rated sleeping bag.
During Full Service Season - Dinner and breakfast included with stay
- Dinner served family style at 6:00PM sharp, includes fresh bread, soup, salad, entrée, and dessert. Entrees include hearty fare such as stuffed shells, chicken, lasagna, baked ham, chicken parmesan, and turkey dinner with trimmings. Child-friendly meal options available at all huts - talk to our staff at check-in. With advance notice, we can accomodate dietary preferences including vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and lactose-free diets. Please call AMC Reservations (603-466-2727) and let us know of any dietary preferences in advance of your stay.
- Breakfast served family style at 7:00AM sharp, includes either eggs or pancakes, plus hot cereal, fruit, and breakfast meat like bacon or sausage, coffee or tea.
- Lunch: bring your own; otherwise soup and baked goods available during day.
During Self Service Season
- Guests pack in own food and have full use of hut’s stove, oven, cookware and serviceware
- Caretaker available 4:00-10:00 PM and 7:00-10:00 AM; caretaker may light fire in woodstove on winter evenings
- Green practices minimize impact on environment – see our Green Promise
- Hut naturalist offers programs before and after dinner (full-service season)
- Kids can earn their Junior Naturalist patch
- Hiker Shuttle to major hut trailheads from Highland Center and Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge (summer and fall)
- Friendly hut “croo” or caretaker available to assist with trip planning, trail information, and weather reports.
- Galehead and Zealand Falls Huts are wheelchair accessible