Source: Sea Kayaking Along the New England Coast
What you’ll see: New Castle is not only one of New England’s oldest settlements, but also the only town in New Hampshire completely contained on an island.
What you’ll experience:
What’s in the area:
- Trip Mileage: 5.75-mile loop
- Tidal Range: 8.1 feet at Portsmouth Harbor
- Charts and Maps: NOAA #13283 at 1:22,700
- Access: Peirce’s Landing, Odiorne Point State Park, or Great Island Common on New Castle
- Busy working waterfront
- Historic houses, forts, and lighthouses
- Parks, beaches, and yacht clubs
- Surfing at Jenness Beach and Rye Harbor
- From I-95, take Exit 7 (Historic District) to Market Street (past the Albacore Submarine), to Bow Street, to Marcy Street (follow signs for NH 1B), past Strawbery Banke Museum on the right. Look for signs for Peirce’s Island and turn left just past Prescott Park to Peirce’s Landing.