George Bliss, patron and chronicler of life at Little Lyford Pond Camps, sits on the steps of the camps’ Wolf Star cabin for this 1933 cover of a Bangor and Aroostook Railroad promotional booklet. The Lynn, Mass., native visited the camp 25 times between 1921 and 1946 and maintained a typewritten journal of his experiences, which can be viewed online at www.blissjournals.com. AMC is helping to keep the Maine sporting camp tradition alive through its Maine Woods Initiative, the most ambitious conservation project in the club’s 130-year history.
Images seen here appear courtesy of the AMC Library and Archives. Duplicates can be ordered for a fee. Funds support efforts to preserve the club’s historical collections. Contact Library and Archives at 617-391-6629, visit the website, or send an e-mail for details.