High Cabin at Cardigan Lodge
For over 85 years, High Cabin has been a popular rustic retreat for backcountry enthusiasts looking for a secluded escape with breathtaking scenery. Built in 1931 by Wilbert F. Gillman, it was newly renovated in 2004 with new bunk beds, roof, woodstove and Clivus composting toilet. This is a great experience for a small group looking for a unique self-service, backcountry trip.
High Cabin is a two mile hike from Cardigan Lodge parking, which puts it under a half mile from spectacular sunrise/sunset celebrations on the Summit. It sits protected just below treeline on the saddle between the Mount Cardigan summit and South Peak.
High Cabin Basics
High Cabin accommodations include 12 bunks with mattresses in the main room (maximum capacity is 12), dry sink, two-burner propane stove, propane, waste water pails, composting toilet, broom, and dust pan. A woodstove is available for seasonal use from November 1 – May 31. Firewood is provided.
What to Bring
- Water: There is an unreliable seasonal spring (water needs to be treated), but it is recommended that you carry water in.
- Cooking and eating utensils, pots and pans, plates, sponge
- Sleeping bag.
- Toilet paper.
- Matches/lighter and paper for woodstove and propane stove.
- Garbage bags to store and pack out all garbage and extra food.
- The combination for cabin access. Check in at the lodge, or call AMC Reservations at 603-466-2727 for the combination.
High Cabin Rates
Rates are for exclusive use of High Cabin. Midweek and weekend rates are available. Rates and policies are subject to change without notice. For more information, call AMC Contact Service Center at 603-466-2727, Monday – Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For reservations, call AMC Contact Service Center at 603-466-2727, Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All reservations must be paid in full at the time the reservation is made. Payment can be made with a VISA, MasterCard, or American Express. You can also check real-time availability for High Cabin online.
- Full refund less a $25 per night fee for cancellations made 14 or more days prior to arrival date.
- No refunds for cancellations made fewer than 14 days prior to arrival date.
High Cabin is a Carry-In, Carry-Out facility; all extra food and garbage must be packed out by guest. No camping is allowed next to High Cabin or on surrounding Cardigan State Forest land. A 12-person maximum capacity is strictly enforced. Rates are for exclusive use of cabin.
Smoking is prohibited in or near any structure. We are unable to accommodate pets at High Cabin. Alcohol is permitted and should be used in a manner that is safe and courteous to oneself and to other guests. Abuse will not be tolerated. The legal drinking age is 21.