High Cabin at Cardigan Lodge
For over 85 years, High Cabin has been a popular rustic retreat for backcountry enthusiasts looking for a secluded escape with breathtaking scenery. Built in 1931 by Wilbert F. Gillman, it was newly renovated in 2004 with new bunk beds, roof, woodstove and Clivus composting toilet. This is a great experience for a small group looking for a unique self-service, backcountry trip.
High Cabin is a two mile hike from Cardigan Lodge parking, which puts it under a half mile from spectacular sunrise/sunset celebrations on the Summit. It sits protected just below treeline on the saddle between the Mount Cardigan summit and South Peak.
Open year round, excluding Wednesdays
High Cabin includes 12 bunks with mattresses in the main room, dry sink, a two-burner propane stove, propane, wastewater pails, composting toilet, broom, and dustpan. Pots, pans, service ware and utensils are included. A composting toilet is located next to the cabin. Multiple screened windows afford views and open for air circulation in summer. A woodstove is available for seasonal use from November 1 – May 31. Firewood is provided. Maximum capacity is 12.
High Cabin is not accessible.
Check in: 3:00 p.m.
Check out: 11:00 a.m.
What to Bring
- Water: There is an unreliable seasonal spring (water needs to be treated), but it is recommended that you carry water in.
- Sleeping bag.
- Toilet paper.
- Matches/lighter and paper for woodstove and propane stove.
- Biodegradable dish and hand soap
- Garbage bags to store and pack out all garbage and extra food.
- Cabin is locked: obtain the combination at Cardigan Lodge on the east side of Cardigan Mountain, or call AMC Contact Service Center for the combination: 603-466-2727 Mon.- Sat. 9-5.
- Please check-in at Cardigan Lodge or call the lodge prior to check in. 603-744-8011.
For reservations, call AMC Contact Service Center at 603-466-2727, Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All reservations must be paid in full at the time the reservation is made. Payment can be made with a VISA, MasterCard, or American Express. You can also check real-time availability for High Cabin online.
- Full refund less a $25 per night fee for cancellations made 14 or more days prior to arrival date.
- No refunds for cancellations made fewer than 14 days prior to arrival date.
High Cabin is a Carry-In, Carry-Out facility; all extra food and garbage must be packed out by guest. No camping is allowed next to High Cabin or on surrounding Cardigan State Forest land. A 12-person maximum capacity is strictly enforced. Rates are for exclusive use of cabin.
Smoking is prohibited in or near any structure. We are unable to accommodate pets at High Cabin. Alcohol is permitted and should be used in a manner that is safe and courteous to oneself and to other guests. Abuse will not be tolerated. The legal drinking age is 21.