AMC Outdoors offers three unpaid editorial internships per year: one each in the spring, summer, and fall terms.
Editorial interns work directly with AMC’s magazine staff on many phases of magazine and web production. Responsibilities include editorial research, reporting, writing, copy editing, photo research, and web production. Candidates should be interested in developing their writing and editorial skills in a deadline-driven magazine environment.
Application deadlines are September 31 for the spring internship, March 1 for summer, and April 30 for fall. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and two to three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
The editorial staff at AMC Outdoors is small, and editorial interns play a significant role in almost every step of the production cycle. Some of the responsibilities include:
• Developing and researching story ideas
• Writing short news articles and trip recommendations for publication in print and/or online
• Searching for photography and creating online lightboxes for editorial review
• Proofreading magazine content
• Posting stories to AMC’s website
• Researching trends and innovations in the publishing industry
• Assisting with occasional photo and video shoots
• Developing and writing a feature-scale personal project with editorial guidance from our staff
All applicants should possess strong writing and editing skills. Ability to work within production deadlines is essential. Those who ask questions and pursue projects of interest in tandem with their assigned tasks will find the position most rewarding.
Internships run for three to four months, and interns are expected to work 20 hours each week.
• Casual work environment, flexible work schedule, and convenient location (10 City Square in Charlestown, a short walk from Boston’s North Station).
• Hands-on experience with every phase of magazine production.
• If you have a particular skill you would like to develop or a special project you wish to work on, we will work with you so that you can get the most out of your time with us.
AMC Outdoors internships are unpaid, but some schools give credit for this internship—please see your advisor for information.