AMC Outdoors, The quarterly magazine of the Appalachian Mountain Club, cELEBRATES stories of interest to outdoors enthusiasts throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
IN EVERY ISSUE
Three long-format FEATURES showcase stunning photography and award-winning authors.
EQUIPPED offers the latest word on gear from sources you can trust.
GET OUT curates an ever-changing roundup of the best places to be outdoors across the region.
LEARN HOW offers clear instruction on outdoor skills for all levels.
FIELD NOTES delivers the latest conservation and recreation news.
VOICES introduces you to fresh faces across the AMC community.
REFLECTIONS shares inspiring stories from readers, in their own words.
- Facebook: 136k likes, 132k follows
- Twitter: 22k followers
- Instagram: 70k followers
- Avg monthly visitors: 80k
- Avg monthly sessions: 90k
- Avg monthly page views: 143k
- Visitor demographics:
- 60.9% male, 39.1% female
- 41% under age 34, 21% aged 35-44, 17% aged 45-54, 21% over age 55
- Sent monthly: 75k
- Avg open rate: 23%
- Avg click through rate: 5%
- Circulation: 66k
AMC members are highly engaged readers who take action:
- 1 in 4 order a product or service after seeing it advertised in AMC Outdoors
- 1 in 2 visit an advertiser’s website as a result of an ad in the magazine
- 4 in 10 visit locations based on content in the magazine
- 2 in 3 visit outdoors.org as a result of reading their print issue of AMC Outdoors
- 4 in 10 keep the print issue for later reference
- 8 in 10 members age 18 to 70 read AMC Outdoors magazine—the highest concentration of member engagement across all AMC activities and offerings.
Our readers have purchasing power and use it:
- $100,000+ median household income
- 92% hold a bachelor’s degree or higher
- 58% hold a master’s degree or higher
- 4-8 hrs/week (median) devoted to outdoor activities
- 92% traveled in the Eastern U.S. in the past year
- 50% spend $2,500+ annually on vacation travel
- 26% spend $5,000+ annually on vacation travel
Spring 2019 Insertion orders due 29 Jan | Art due 31 Jan | Publish date 01 Mar
FEATURE: Profiles of couples who met through AMC; sidebar on White Mountain weddings
FEATURE: Extreme weather impact on trails and sustainable trail building; sidebar: timeline of AMC’s 100-year-old professional trail crew
FEATURE: Circumnavigating Manhattan by kayak
TOPICS: Urban forest master planning, environmental voting, long trails in cities, latest rain gear, hiker fitness training, leading international trips, painted turtles, more
Summer 2019 Insertion orders due 30 Apr | Art due 02 May | Publish date 01 Jun
FEATURE: Whitewater rafting how-to; sidebar: AMC work in whitewater conservation
FEATURE: Crossing off a New Yorker’s 46th 46-er (on the psychology of finishing a hiking checklist)
FEATURE: Behind the scenes of Gala Week, AM C’s annual orientation for White Mountain hut “croo”
TOPICS: Weekend backpacking via public transit, healthiest health & beauty products for people and planet, hiking as you age, AMC staffers who are elite athletes, Crawford Path 200th anniversary, more
Fall 2019 Insertion orders due 30 Jul | Art due 01 Aug | Publish date 01 Sep
FEATURE: On the ground with AMC wildfire training in the Maine Woods (conservation, climate, citizen concerns)
FEATURE: Profile of JR Smith, African American man who has been gone on more than 50 solo, multiweek backpacking trips in the last 50 yrs
FEATURE: Field report from the annual Trail Days festival celebrating all things Appalachian Trail in Damascus, VA
TOPICS: Hikes to sites of local legends, 50 campfire conversation starters, turkey vultures, more
Winter 2020 Insertion orders due 29 Oct | Art due 31 Oct | Publish date 01 Dec
FEATURE: Outdoor health benefits demystified, an illustrated explainer
FEATURE: 30 conservation heroes under the age of 30
FEATURE: Snow-kiting, a first-person adventure
TOPICS: Election-year conservation, winter camping skills, more
AMC Outdoors Magazine Ad Specs 2019 – 2020
- A high-resolution PDF/X-la file is required for all ads.
- Colors must be CMYK. No ICC profiles, RGB, or Pantone colors.
- Bleeds: Allow 1/8″ on all sides. Keep all live matter 3/8″ from trim and gutter.
- Resolution of all photography and scanned illustrations must be at least 300 dpi. Line art should be 600 dpi.
- Vital copy and images must be at least 1/8″ away from trim. Spread ads must have at least 3/8″ total gutter.
- Materials should be submitted without crop marks, but full-page ads should include the required 1/8″ bleed.
- All fonts used must be embedded in the PDF file.
- Using the bold, italic or other style keys is not encouraged. Please use the bold or italic version of the font. (For example, instead of making Adobe® Garamond bold with the style key, use the actual font for Adobe® Garamond Bold.)
- Flatten all layers and set transparency to highest setting.
- Ads must be suitable to print as-is. AMC is not responsible for any errors in content.
- Necessary alterations are the responsibility of and at the expense of the advertiser.
- All materials must be submitted in accordance with the published deadlines and meet the criteria stated in the advertising policy.
Placement Sizes (inches)
- Full page with bleed: 8.25 x 11
- Full page: 7.875 x 10.625
- 2/3 page: 4.75 x 9.5
- 1/2 page horizontal: 7.5 x 4.75
- 1/2 page vertical: 3.5 x 10.63
- 1/3 page square: 4.75 x 4.75
- 1/3 page vertical: 2.25 x 9.5
- 1/4 page horizontal: 7.5 x 2.25
- 1/4 page vertical: 3.5 x 4.75
- 1/6 page horizontal: 4.75 x 2.25
- 1/12 page: 2.25 x 2.25
- Gift guide (minimum 3 for full page, 6 for full spread: 300dpi JPG, 35-word description