AMC Outdoors, The quarterly magazine of the Appalachian Mountain Club, cELEBRATES stories of interest to outdoors enthusiasts throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
IN EVERY ISSUE
Three long-format FEATURES showcase stunning photography and award-winning authors.
PACKLIST offers the latest word on gear from sources you can trust.
ITINERARY curates an ever-changing roundup of the best places to be outdoors across the region.
MANUAL offers clear instruction on outdoor skills for all levels.
BULLETIN: AROUND AMC delivers the latest conservation and recreation news.
CROO introduces you to fresh faces across the AMC community.
JOURNAL shares inspiring stories from readers, in their own words.
- Facebook: 143k likes, 141k follows
- Twitter: 25k followers
- Instagram: 87k followers
Outdoors.org (1/1/19 – 8/31/19)
- Avg monthly visitors: 80k
- Avg monthly sessions: 89k
- Avg monthly page views: 125k
- Visitor demographics:
- 60.6% male, 39.4% female
- 37% under age 34, 21% aged 35-44, 18% aged 45-54, 24% over age 55
- Sent monthly: 80k
- Avg open rate: 22%
- Avg click through rate: 5%
- Circulation: 65k
AMC members are highly engaged readers who take action:
- 1 in 4 order a product or service after seeing it advertised in AMC Outdoors
- 1 in 2 visit an advertiser’s website as a result of an ad in the magazine
- 4 in 10 visit locations based on content in the magazine
- 2 in 3 visit outdoors.org as a result of reading their print issue of AMC Outdoors
- 4 in 10 keep the print issue for later reference
- 8 in 10 members age 18 to 70 read AMC Outdoors magazine—the highest concentration of member engagement across all AMC activities and offerings.
Our readers have purchasing power and use it:
- $100,000+ median household income
- 92% hold a bachelor’s degree or higher
- 58% hold a master’s degree or higher
- 4-8 hrs/week (median) devoted to outdoor activities
- 92% traveled in the Eastern U.S. in the past year
- 50% spend $2,500+ annually on vacation travel
- 26% spend $5,000+ annually on vacation travel
Winter 2020 Insertion orders due 29 Oct | Art due 31 Oct | Publish date 01 Dec
FEATURE: Snow kiting – A first-person adventure story on snow kiting for beginners.
FEATURE: Health Benefits of Being Outdoors, Demystified. We know the outdoors is good for our health—but how, exactly?
FEATURE: Dogsledding at a Crossroads. Sled dog racing has a long history in the Northeast, but in recent years, participation has declined significantly in New England.
Spring 2020 Insertion orders due 29 Jan | Art due 31 Jan | Publish date 01 Mar
FEATURE: The real cost of search and rescue. How much do search and rescue efforts really cost a state?
FEATURE: Kids are camping within NYC’s city limits!
Summer 2020 Insertion orders due 30 Apr | Art due 02 May | Publish date 01 Jun
FEATURE: An International Appalachian Trail?
FEATURE: The rapid lifestyle of elite kayakers.
FEATURE: Trail running the Presidential Traverse.
Fall 2020 Insertion orders due 30 Jul | Art due 01 Aug | Publish date 01 Sep
FEATURE: New Jersey’s Pine Barrens as a wildfire lab.
FEATURE: Van life. Proponents of this lifestyle, ushered in and fanned by social media, live in souped-up camper vans— a celebration of freedom and the outdoors.
FEATURE: Hiking the Cohos Trail with its founder.
Winter 2021 Insertion orders due 29 Oct | Art due 31 Oct | Publish date 01 Dec
FEATURE: Interview with writer and environmentalist Bill McKibben, who published The End of Nature, widely considered one of the earliest treatises on global warming, 30 years ago.
FEATURE: How volunteering changed my life.
FEATURE: Avalanche safety.
AMC Outdoors Magazine Ad Specs 2019 – 2020
- A high-resolution PDF/X-la file is required for all ads.
- Colors must be CMYK. No ICC profiles, RGB, or Pantone colors.
- Bleeds: Allow 1/8″ on all sides. Keep all live matter 3/8″ from trim and gutter.
- Resolution of all photography and scanned illustrations must be at least 300 dpi. Line art should be 600 dpi.
- Vital copy and images must be at least 1/8″ away from trim. Spread ads must have at least 3/8″ total gutter.
- Materials should be submitted without crop marks, but full-page ads should include the required 1/8″ bleed.
- All fonts used must be embedded in the PDF file.
- Using the bold, italic or other style keys is not encouraged. Please use the bold or italic version of the font. (For example, instead of making Adobe® Garamond bold with the style key, use the actual font for Adobe® Garamond Bold.)
- Flatten all layers and set transparency to highest setting.
- Ads must be suitable to print as-is. AMC is not responsible for any errors in content.
- Necessary alterations are the responsibility of and at the expense of the advertiser.
- All materials must be submitted in accordance with the published deadlines and meet the criteria stated in the advertising policy.
Placement Sizes (inches)
- Full page with bleed: 8.25 x 11
- Full page: 7.875 x 10.625
- 2/3 page: 4.75 x 9.5
- 1/2 page horizontal: 7.5 x 4.75
- 1/2 page vertical: 3.5 x 10.63
- 1/3 page square: 4.75 x 4.75
- 1/3 page vertical: 2.25 x 9.5
- 1/4 page horizontal: 7.5 x 2.25
- 1/4 page vertical: 3.5 x 4.75
- 1/6 page horizontal: 4.75 x 2.25
- 1/12 page: 2.25 x 2.25
- Gift guide (minimum 3 for full page, 6 for full spread: 300dpi JPG, 35-word description