Stay a night at our most popular hut, steps away from some of the most iconic high peaks in the White Mountains. AMC Lakes of the Clouds Hut provides exceptional mountain views and even better sunsets.
June 1, 2023 - September 16, 2023
Lakes of the Clouds Hut is closed during the fall, winter and spring. A refuge room in the hut’s cellar is left open in the winter for emergency use only.
Shuttle stop at trailhead
No dogs overnight
Located just below Mount Monroe, reach Lakes of the Clouds Hut by journeying 3 miles from the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trailhead along the strenuous Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. Once you arrive, enjoy exceptional hiking opportunities on the dramatic peaks of the Presidential Range.
|Difficulty||Hut Elevation||Mileage/Trail||Elevation Gain||Hiking Time||Trailhead|
|Strenuous||5,012 ft||3 miles/Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail||2,600 ft||3 - 4 hours||Ammonoosuc Ravine|
Want to hike hut-to-hut on the Presidential Range? Check out our resources tab for suggested trip itineraries.
Overnight guests can stay in our bunkrooms, which have a total capacity of 90 people and include individual rooms that accommodate 6, 8, 12, or 15 people. We strongly recommend you make reservations in advance. Each room:
- Has individual bunks with mattresses
- Is fully enclosed
- Three wool blankets and 1 pillow with a pillowcase are provided on every bunk during the full-service season, however, bringing an extra pillowcase and sleeping bag is still recommended
- Is unheated and has no electricity/overhead lighting, each bunk has a small reading light
- Is co-ed and may be shared by multiple people from different reservations
Guests must bring:
- An appropriately rated sleeping bag and pillow for your bunks
- A headlamp
- Appropriate clothing that will keep you warm during your stay
- Appropriate gear for a backcountry hike (see pack list tab for more information)
The hut dining room acts as a common space for overnight guests and day visitors. In this area you can:
- Chat with an AMC hut croo member or caretaker
- Eat meals prepared and served by hut staff (for overnight guests)
- Refill on water and hot drinks
- Purchase snacks, merchandise and limited gear from 10am to 5pm (cash encouraged; no mobile payment apps accepted)
Want to go to a hut with a guided group? See what programs our Outdoor Guides are offering.
A portion of the proceeds from AMC Huts goes towards funding conservation projects across our region.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Operations
AMC has a long-standing commitment to using its huts, lodges, and sporting camps as models for sustainable operations and environmental stewardship. At Lakes of the Clouds we use solar panels and battery banks to run electricity and use LED lighting. The hut has waterless toilets and we are committed to recycling and composting food.