Madison Spring Hut sits above treeline in the famed Presidential Range, nestled between the northern peaks of Mount Adams and Madison. This hut has sunset views that will knock your socks off after a day on the trail.
June 1, 2023 - September 23, 2023
Madison Spring Hut is closed during the fall, winter and spring and does not offer a self-service option. The hut cannot be used as an emergency shelter during the winter.
Shuttle stop at trailhead
No dogs overnight
Located between Mount Adams and Mount Madison, reach Madison Spring Hut by journeying 3.8 miles from the Appalachia Trailhead along the strenuous Valley Way Trail. Once you arrive, enjoy exceptional hiking opportunities on the dramatic peaks of the northern Presidential Range.
|Difficulty||Hut Elevation||Mileage/Trail||Elevation Gain||Hiking Time||Trailhead|
|Strenuous||4,600 ft||3.8 miles/Valley Way Trail||3,550 ft||3 - 5 hours||Appalachia|
Want to hike hut-to-hut on the Presidential Range? Check out our resources tab for suggested trip itineraries.
Overnight guests can stay in one of our three bunkroom areas, which have a total capacity of 52 people. We strongly recommend that you make reservations in advance. Each bunkroom:
- Has individual bunks with mattresses
- Is fully enclosed
- Is unheated and has no electricity/overhead lighting. Each bunk has a small reading light.
- Is co-ed and may be shared by multiple people from different reservations
Guests must bring:
- An appropriately rated sleeping bag and pillow for your bunks
- A headlamp
- Appropriate clothing that will keep you warm during your stay
- Appropriate gear for a backcountry hike (see pack list tab for more information)
The hut dining room acts as a common space for overnight guests and day visitors. In this area you can:
- Chat with an AMC hut croo member or caretaker
- Eat meals prepared and served by hut staff (for overnight guests)
- Refill on water and hot drinks
- Purchase snacks, merchandise and limited gear from 10am to 5pm (cash encouraged; no mobile payment apps accepted)
Want to go to a hut with a guided group? See what programs our Outdoor Guides are offering.
A portion of the proceeds from AMC Huts goes towards funding conservation projects across our region.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Operations
AMC has a long-standing commitment to using its huts, lodges, and sporting camps as models for sustainable operations and environmental stewardship. At Madison Spring Hut we use solar panels for solar hot water preheats and battery banks to run electricity and use LED lighting. The hut has waterless toilets and we are committed to recycling and composting food.