One of the largest forest areas and the best hiking in eastern Massachusetts are only 13 miles from downtown Boston – the 8,500-acre Blue Hills Reservation. Within that reservation, on the eastern shore of 230-acre Ponkapoag Pond, is AMC’s Ponkapoag Family Camp: 20 rustic cabins and two campsites in a wooded setting, with a waterfront offering swimming, boating, and fishing, and a lodge used as a gathering place during the summer season. Cabins have beds (but not bedding), table and chairs, and a bureau. Those with wood-burning stoves can be rented year-round. There is no electricity or running water; bring your own lanterns, drinking water, and cook stove.
Due to concerns related to COVID-19, the 2020 summer season has been cancelled.
Ponkapoag Camp accommodations include 20 cabins, each sleeping two to seven people, including bunks with mattresses, woodstoves, and outhouses. There is no electricity or running water. There are also two tent sites and nearby lake offering swimming, paddling, and fishing. Guests can also take advantage of miles of trails for hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Dogs are allowed with some limitations. During the summer season, there is a camp manager on site, a lifeguard, pot-luck dinners every Saturday night followed by an activity, and a lodge for general use with a few hours of electricity each evening for reading, play, and charging batteries.
NOTE: If you will be driving to Ponkapoag, you must call ahead for the combination to the gate lock. Call 781-961-7007 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (noon).
From Interstate 93:
- Follow I-93 to the Route 138 cloverleaf exit (Exit 2A).
- From the Route 138 cloverleaf, go south on Route 138 past Ponkapoag Golf Course to the next traffic light.
- At the traffic light, turn left onto Randolph Street and travel for one mile.
- Directly across from the Canton Equestrian Center’s mailbox is the locked gate to the camp. You must call ahead of time for the combination to the lock.
- Take the dirt road into the woods, bearing right after the gate.
- Follow the dirt road for one mile into camp and watch for the red reflector.
- Turn left at the reflector and continue a short distance to the winter manager’s cabin on the right. In summer, continue past the reflector and go directly to the lodge.
From the Ashmont T Station (MBTA Red Line):
- Take the MBTA Red Line to the Ashmont Station and board the Randolph or Brockton Bus (estimated time of departure: 20 minutes past the hour).
- Get off at the Comfort Inn at Route 28 and Scanlon Drive in North Randolph (just after Route 28/I-93 interchange).
- Walk west to the end of Scanlon Drive and the High Street intersection. This is the head of the Smith Trail, which is marked with orange disks on the trees.
- The Smith Trail (Middle Street) turns left on the gas line and goes over the horse bridge, traversing Route 24.
- Follow the orange disks all the way the way into camp. The total distance is approximately 7,000 feet. Approximate hiking time is 30 minutes.
Ponkapoag Camp 2020 Rates
|Cabins, In-Season||Extra Small||Small||Medium||Large|
|Summer season begins the fourth Sunday in June and ends Labor Day.|
|Holiday Weekend (3 Nights)||$120||$145||$165|
|Weekend (2 nights)||$87.50||$110||$127.50|
|Only Columbus Day and Memorial Day count as “holiday weekends.”|
Tent sites (NOTE: All tent sites are currently closed due to COVID)
|Weekend (2 nights)||$45|
Reservations & Policies
Reservations are taken by mail only. Call 781-961-7007 for availability or for general inquiries (reservations will not be taken over the phone). Summer reservations (last week of June through Labor Day) get highest priority if postmarked before April 20. Deposit of summer rentals is $50 per week. Weekend rentals off-season require payment in full. Call for cancellations.
Include with your Reservation
1. Reservation form
2. Check payable to AMC Ponkapoag Camp to cover a deposit of $50 for summer rentals, or payment in full for weekend rentals in the off-season
3. Liability waiver form may be required (call registrar for more information)
Mail Your Reservation
AMC Ponkapoag Camp
ATTN: Summer Reservations
P.O. Box 582
Randolph, MA 02368
Call 781-961-7007 for cancellations.