Stay a night at Carter Notch Hut and encounter a world of rock jumbles, towering cliffs, and tranquil mountain lakes. This lesser-known hut is for those in search of quiet trails and unforgettable summits.
June 1, 2023 - September 16, 2023
January 1, 2023 - May 28, 2023
Shuttle stop at trailhead
No dogs overnight
As the name implies, Carter Notch Hut is located in the heart of Carter Notch. To reach the hut, journey 3.8 miles from the Nineteen-Mile Brook Trailhead along the moderate Nineteen-Mile Brook Trail. Once you arrive, enjoy exceptional hiking and snowshoeing opportunities steps away from your bunkhouse accommodations.
|Difficulty||Hut Elevation||Mileage/Trail||Elevation Gain||Hiking Time||Trailhead|
|Moderate||3,288 ft||3.8 miles/Nineteen-Mile
|2,000 ft||2.5 - 4 hours||Nineteen-Mile Brook|
Year-round, overnight guests can stay in one of our two bunkhouses, which have a total capacity of 40 people and include individual rooms that accommodate 4-6 people. We strongly recommend you make reservations in advance. Each room:
- Has individual bunks with mattresses
- Is fully enclosed
- Is unheated and has no electricity/overhead lighting. Each bunk has a small reading light.
- Is co-ed and may be shared by multiple people from different reservations
Year-round, guests must bring:
- An appropriately rated sleeping bag and pillow for your bunks
- A headlamp
- Appropriate clothing that will keep you warm during your stay
- Appropriate gear for a backcountry hike (see pack list tab for more information)
The hut itself acts as a common space for overnight guests and day visitors. In this area, you can:
- Chat with an AMC hut croo member or caretaker
- Eat meals prepared and served by hut staff (for overnight guests during the full-service season)
- Refill on water and hot drinks
- Purchase snacks, merchandise and limited gear from 10am to 5pm (cash encouraged; no mobile payment apps accepted)
Our Commitment to Sustainable Operations
AMC has a long-standing commitment to using its huts, lodges, and sporting camps as models for sustainable operations and environmental stewardship. At Carter Notch Hut we use solar panels and battery banks to run electricity and use LED lighting. The hut has composting toilets and we are committed to recycling and composting food.