With spectacular views of Franconia Ridge across a pristine glacial lake, Lonesome Lake Hut offers big mountain scenery without the big mountain effort.
June 1, 2023 - October 21, 2023
January 1, 2023 - May 28, 2023
October 25, 2023 - January 1, 2024
Shuttle stop at trailhead
No dogs overnight
Located on the shores of Lonesome Lake, reach Lonesome Lake Hut by journeying 1.6 miles from the Lafayette Campground Trailhead along the moderate Lonesome Lake Trail. Once you arrive, enjoy exceptional hiking and snowshoeing opportunities steps away from your bunkhouse accommodations.
|Difficulty||Hut Elevation||Mileage/Trail||Elevation Gain||Hiking Time||Trailhead|
|Easy/Moderate||2,730 ft||1.6 miles/Lonesome Lake Trail||1,000 ft||1 – 2 hours||Lafayette Campground|
Looking for a less challenging hike in? Check out Zealand Falls Hut.
Year-round, overnight guests can stay in one of our two bunkhouses, which have a total capacity of 48 people and include individual rooms that accommodate 4-7 people. We strongly recommend you make reservations in advance. Each room:
- Has individual bunks with mattresses
- Is fully enclosed
- Is unheated and has no electricity/overhead lighting. Each bunk has a small reading light.
- Is co-ed and may be shared by multiple people from different reservations
Year-round, guests must bring:
- An appropriately rated sleeping bag and pillow for your bunks
- A headlamp
- Appropriate clothing that will keep you warm during your stay
- Appropriate gear for a backcountry hike (see pack list tab for more information)
The hut dining room acts as a common space for overnight guests and day visitors. In this area you can:
- Chat with an AMC hut croo member or caretaker
- Eat meals prepared and served by hut staff (for overnight guests during the full-service season)
- Refill on water and hot drinks
- Purchase snacks, merchandise and limited gear from 10am to 5pm (cash encouraged; no mobile payment apps accepted)
Want to go to a hut with a guided group? See what programs our Outdoor Guides are offering.
A portion of the proceeds from AMC Huts goes towards funding conservation projects across our region.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Operations
AMC has a long-standing commitment to using its huts, lodges, and sporting camps as models for sustainable operations and environmental stewardship. At Lonesome Lake Hut we use solar panels and battery banks to run electricity and use LED lighting. The hut has solar heaters to improve the effectiveness of the composting toilet system and we are committed to recycling and composting food.